The Trump administration is preparing to end an Obama-era policy that allowed undocumented immigrants living in the United States to apply for work permits.
It’s one of a number of changes planned by the new administration aimed at easing a backlog that has ballooned in recent years, and the administration says the move will help ease pressure on the US economy and reduce deportations.
But the move, which has drawn criticism from immigrant rights groups and some Democrats, could have broader ramifications.
In a statement to The Washington Post, a White House official said that under the administration’s proposal, “individuals who have been lawfully present in the US since the date of entry and who meet the requirements of this section will no longer be eligible for an immigrant visa.”
The official said the administration was considering a number “that would allow more people to come into the country legally and to work.”
The news comes amid a spate of deportations that has strained relations between the US and Mexico and prompted a debate over the future of a controversial policy that allows some undocumented immigrants to apply to live in the country.
The administration is proposing a plan to end a program that gives people with work authorization a chance to work legally in the U.S. for a year, as long as they can provide documentation of their eligibility.
That provision was meant to help people who had been living in this country illegally for a long time, but many immigrants who qualify for the program have been waiting for their green cards.
Under the current policy, the green cards that are needed for people to qualify for a green card are usually issued by the Department of Homeland Security, but they are sometimes handed over to the Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is the US agency that enforces the policy.
The Trump transition team did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
“The administration is working to streamline the process to ease the backlog and expedite the issuance of green cards for immigrants living illegally in the USA,” the official said.
The new policy is part of a larger effort by the Trump administration to roll back some of the harsh immigration policies of the Obama administration.
The Department of Labor has begun to rescind a policy that had allowed employers to hire immigrants who were not U.C.I.L. green card holders, and President Donald Trump has ordered a review of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which gives young immigrants who arrived at a certain age and have lived in the community for a certain number of years a green light to remain in the system.
In the past, some immigrants who had entered the country illegally and had been in the military or who were citizens at the time of their entry could get a green-card extension.
Trump, who has been a vocal opponent of DACA, has argued that the program helps the country “self-deport” gang members.
He also has argued, however, that it will put pressure on American workers, who are already struggling to find work in the job market.
In April, Trump signed an executive order that eliminated a key provision of DACA that allowed young people to receive a work permit at age 18.
He later announced he would end that program, and it was eventually revoked.
But Trump has also signed a revised version of the program that will give young immigrants the option of receiving an extension of their green card after six years.
Under this new policy, if an individual is able to show he has “sufficient work authorization and the ability to support himself and his family in the private sector, he or she will be granted an extension,” according to the official.
This could be a temporary measure, the official added.
It could also be permanent.
The White House is also proposing a new program that allows employers to re-open an existing DACA program, but that program would expire on January 31.
“As the President has said, DACA will not be reinstated and the Secretary will make that decision once it has been fully vetted by the Secretary of Homeland Defense,” the White House statement said.
“Under the existing program, if a DACA holder is able and willing to reenter the country for the first time, the Secretary may extend the DACA extension, or may choose to end the program entirely.
If the Secretary does not choose to terminate the DACA program and if an employer does not re-enroll a DACA applicant, the DACA holder will be notified by the Attorney General’s office and have 60 days to apply.”